Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Shame on me

I went to Taco Bell tonight. And I liked it. Remember that time in my life when I lived on Taco Bell because I didn't have a car, and didn't have the time to bus all the way to Walmart to get real food?
There was a guy who worked there named Dave, and he was kind of a vagrant. He just went from town to town getting odd jobs until he was either fired or he got bored and decided to move on to a new town. Somehow he ended up in Provo, working my night shift. One time I mentioned to him as we were all cleaning up after work that I'd only eaten Taco Bell for the past two weeks. I guess he assumed it was because I couldn't afford to buy food, because he later pulled me aside and said that when he'd first gotten to Provo he'd been so taken care of by "the Mormons" that he would never stand by and let one of them go hungry. He tried to give me a ten dollar bill, but I explained that I was getting by just fine, but I never had any time to shop during store business hours! But I was really touched at his generosity. Especially because he could be a very manly, sometimes crude/brash man. But he was a really good man. I have no idea where he is, because he got bored with Provo soon after this incident. But I have no doubt that he still eats Taco Bell food.
And apparently, so do I.

5 comments:

Cecily Jane said...

Wow, what a cool story! Sometimes I think that we Mormons are a lot nicer to strangers than we are to each other.

Oh, and eating Taco Bell isn't the worst thing in the world. Sometimes you just need a nacho chalupa.

Kent and Leisy said...

there is nothing better than their seven layer burrito with five packets of mild sauce (which kind of makes it an eight layer burrito).

Kent and Leisy said...

and by the way- we didn't use those books ofr our book club. this past month we read "these is my words" by nancy turner and the upcoming month is "hunger games" by suzanne collins.

Birches said...

Taco Bell for two weeks?!? Wow. I don't think I could do it, although I do get a hankering for Nachos Bell Grande every once in awhile.

SMT Family said...

I miss those Taco Bell days, not due to the lack of Taco Bell in my current life, but I sure loved sharing apartments with you. You definitely got me through that summer. I don't judge you for your Taco Bell eating. I have finally gotten over the steak supreme chalupa, but I can't seem to shake my bean burrito cravings. Love you!