Sunday, March 16, 2008

Is it a food baby?

So we went and saw "Juno." Not that great, although very funny in spots. Pretty innapropriate, actually, which is sometimes half the fun. Anyway, at the point that the main character calls her best friend to announce that she's pregnant, the friend asks, "Are you sure? It might just be a food baby." I thought that was hilarious. I'd never heard the term before, but it's now a favorite part of my vocabulary, much to my husband's dismay. I'm like the kid that you can't take to PG-13 movies because I repeat everything I hear. Food baby.
Anyway, for enrichment today, we made baby slings. I figured there'd be more people there, because everyone in my ward is pregnant, planning on getting pregnant, or has at least five pregnant friends who could use a free baby sling. I went, and it turns out I was the only one there without a baby in a stroller or in my belly. They were all having to reach way over their bellies to get to the sewing machines. So when I picked up my pink fabric to measure it, someone called out, "Oh! someone's having a girl, huh?" Great. I'm glad I look pregnant to you. Charles' professor actually asked him the other day if I was pregnant, too. I could understand at an enrichment activity where we are making slings for actual babies, but I just think it's way out of line to ask a student if their wife is pregnant. Pink just happened to be my favorite color on the day I voted for what color fabric I wanted. So I told the girl I would probably just give the sling to someone or keep until I did have a girl.

So I came home and showed Charles our new toy, and since we didn't have a real baby to put in it, we decided to see how much it could actually carry, using regular household items. Actually, we raided the pantry. This is me and our food baby.

This is what our food baby consists of. Wheat bread. Cornmeal.

bananas.

pumpkin.

If we were ever terribly strapped for food, I suppose we could just resort to cannibalism and eat our baby. That's a great comfort to us.

7 comments:

taylor and laney said...

oh my. I giggled through the post. your posts always make me giggle! and I love giggling. and about eating the baby... I totally could have for the first few months (he was so boring and woke me up a lot) but now I'm too attached.

taylor and laney said...

that was really leisy... my sis hadn't logged herself off

Starla said...

Umm... cannibalism? Ick... I hate those baby slings. Sorry if you like them and sorry to whoever reads this and has used or plans on using one. I think they are not cute and am planning on never using one. My favorite is people who just put up their shirt and breastfeed with that thing on for carrying convenience. Gotta love that. soo uhhh... I think I probably offended you. yeah you-whoever is reading this.

jax from the harmon squad said...

I love slings- but not those ones. Mine is freakin' awesome- I got it from Germany- a company called didymos. Europe has THE BEST baby stuff- I go into babies 'r us and roll my eyes. And now that you've made a pink baby sling, you'll probably have all boys. That's the way life works.

Kent and Leisy said...

so, I agree with starla (whoever she is). I hate all baby slings.

Mollie said...

haha. Food baby.

Unknown said...

Molly, can you teach me how to use mine?! Ha ha, very cute! I'm glad it turned out so well!