Tuesday, September 22, 2009

one down, three million to go

So, when Olivia was released from the hospital, it was on the condition that we'd take her to several doctors to check up on stuff that was worrying the neonatologists at Primary. They referred us to Kids on the Move, an early intervention, Headstartish place that found us an occupational therapist that we really like. He helps with motor skills and feedings (although so far, the feedings have remained problematic.) and basically reassures us every other week that Olivia's meeting milestones. We have met with her pediatrician several times, of course. We really like Dr. Conner, from Utah Valley Pediatrics in American Fork. She kind of specializes in g-tube kids and neurologically challenged kids, which is why we chose her. She can always find an appointment for us when we need one, which seems to happen to us a lot as new parents! We have an appointment in January at the dysphagia clinic at Primary, to see why Olivia doesn't eat. Funny, I thought that should be one of the first appointments we had, but they're booked out until January. The last one we had to schedule was an opthalmology appointment, to see what was up with Olivia's eyes. She had a lazy eye for quite some time, and we were of course concerned about neurological damage from the lack of oxygen when Olivia was born, so we've kind of been on pins and needles until this appointment to find out if her symptoms were just normal baby stuff, or signs of something more serious.
We had the appointment last week, and I am happy to report that Olivia passed with flying colors! She's exactly as far-sighted as she's supposed to be at her age, she tracks objects enthusiastically (the doctor had some really fun light-up toys for her to track), and she seems to be doing normal baby stuff. We thought so, but we were relieved to hear it from a professional, of course.
Olivia can't seem to fall asleep unless she's swaddled and has her sucker, but I forgot her blanket in the car at the hospital, so I wrapped her up in my sweater. She was way too distracted to eat right in the waiting room, so we ended up having to tube her. I hope we didn't scar any young children's minds or anything. Anyway, she finally was full and wrapped up and happy so she fell asleep, and woke up just in time for her appointment. Look how happy she is to be awake and playing opthalmology!



Also, for a long time, my mom had a file that she kept of pictures of her sleeping kids. She had some pretty funny ones in there, and they always seemed to be her favorite. I've noticed that I'm kind of a sleeping baby picture junkie, and I thought my mom would appreciate some of these. Sorry if they're boring to the rest of the reading audience

Also, no idea why that text is a link. I didn't do anything but cut and paste it, so whatever. Stupid blogger.

7 comments:

Starla said...

So cute! I was glad to hear an update on your family. I wanna see you guys sometime...I think I'm gonna text you.

Eevi said...

We have tons of pictures of Saku sleeping as well. They just look so adorable when they are asleep. So good to hear that Olivia is doing well. I would never attempt to put Saku to sleep without being swaddled. It will be a problem once he starts rolling and can't be swaddled tightly. I wish we lived close to each other so we could have playdates!!

jax from the harmon squad said...

She is PRECIOUS!!!! I just want to eat up her little face! And I'm glad she's doing well: I think she's sassy and pretending she's high maintenance just to give you grief:) Watch out for those teenage years!

SMT Family said...

She is beautiful and the pics are adorable! I hope things continue to go so well. Miss you!

Kami said...

I love sleeping baby pictures, too!

And don't worry about the swaddling thing ... Carmen is 4 1/2 months old and she STILL prefers being swaddled. It helps her calm down and it helps her fall asleep. She shows no interest in grabbing objects or rolling over or being on the floor or being on her tummy ... I guess it will all happen in time. :)

Mollie said...

She's so darling. We're so glad we got to see you last weekend!

Gardners said...

She's lookin' SO good - I am happy to hear everything is going so well. Anna has the same dino pajamas (just a few sizes larger, I'm sure). What a sweet girl!