Monday, August 4, 2008

The Importance of Appearing Earnest


So, this week we're taking off to St. Petersburg! As Charles put it this morning, "You realize that if we go to St. Petersburg, I'll have seen all there is to see in Russia, and we may never come back?" I think I'm willing to take that risk. Although I do find it a little disconcerting that the guidebook we're using takes care to warn travelers not to linger under unstable, child-size icicles. Since we are traveling in the month of August, though, I think we'll be ok.
Our train (yes, train!) leaves at midnight tonight, and I've been packing and repacking all afternoon. I even ironed my shorts. But then I thought that was silly and crumpled them up again. Ok, I didn't even iron them to begin with, but that would have been very silly of me, eh?
I just have to say that I love the idea of traveling through the night by train. It's very victorian sounding to me, and I shall be sure to drink loads of (herbal) tea and remember to follow Maggie's example: "Pinkiezh up, ladiezh!"

(for those of you who care to know, we'll be back in Moscow on Friday morning, and we're traveling with another mormon family, and we'll be sure to remember who we are. That's for you, mom.)

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Sounds like a grand adventure! Have fun!

Becky said...

I, too, love the idea of traveling by train. I hope it's like Anastasia, or something. Have a lovely time and enjoy it for me, since who knows when I'll get to experience it!

Emile Gibson said...

You know I have a great passion for public transportation, so you can believe that I'm sitting here green with envy. Travelling by train across Russia! And I'm updating daily use records for Grand Teton National Park...lame.

mightymuffin said...

You'll have to remind maggie of that phrase because lately she's forgotten. She's been full of slurps and gurggles 24/7.