Sunday, July 6, 2008

make me. I dare you times infinity.


So, you may have noticed that I'm currently experiencing a slight writer's block. And at 4 this morning when I was telling myself that I had to write something because that's what I do, I realized that my writer's block probably stems from my baker's block.
In fact, yesterday, when we got home from church and broke our fast with reheated double cheeseburgers from Mcdonalds, Charles remarked that we had gotten as low as it gets as far as dinner goes. I had to agree, although we both concluded that the reheated burgers tasted more American than the fresh ones. Charles was sick, unfortunately, so we had to turn down two lovely dinner propositions with members of our branch, because he really needed to get to bed before school today. I promised him I would make him the most amazing food when we get home to America, but I just have no inspiration or energy to cook here. And there are so many good places to eat here that it'd be a waste not to. It actually ends up being cheaper eating out, too, ironically.
But I really do have great plans for when we get home and I have my fancy nonstick pots and pans, and reliable ingredients and measuring cups that I can comprehend. I found this thing called the Daring Bakers online. http://daringbakersblogroll.blogspot.com/2007/07/welcome.html
I am so joining in September. You've got to check out some of their blogs. It's an entire network of food bloggers, and I am delighted that such a thing exists. When I started my senior thesis class last fall (a feast of foodways: food in literature), I was a little skeptical that we'd be able to find enough to discuss, much less write our senior papers on. That's when I met and fell in love with the foodways movement. So much food writing! And I've discovered my calling.
Sorry if this is boring to you, but it was thrilling to me, and I'm the boss of this blog. If you want me to write something else, you'll have to make me. I stick my tongue in your general direction.

4 comments:

SMT Family said...

It is great to read the thoughts that you have in the middle of the night. I miss hearing them from you first thing in the morning. I love the daring bakers blogs! I just found them a couple of weeks ago. I want to hear of all the fun things you create when you get back to Utah! Also, send me a copy of that thesis! It sounds very interesting.
Love you lots! smt

Molly said...

You're so interesting....Hope your husband is feeling better soon!

Cecily Jane said...

Limes! They will forever remind me of you.

Lizzy Meppen said...

strawberries and limes! I made all of the food for that darned tea party!