Thursday, February 28, 2008

sedation: what a motivation

So, yesterday I went in for my oral surgery on my stupid tooth. When I'd filled out the medical history for my first appointment with this dentist, there had been a part that said "Most patients have specific concerns when they come to us. What are yours?" I had written, "I hate dentists. It freaks me out to go to the dentist." The dentist had gotten a kick out that, and had assured me over and over again that I would not feel a thing when he drilled into my face. I didn't quite believe him, but his nurses (all of them wore matching aqua and brown scrubs.) sent me home with sleeping pills and a valium, to take before I got to their office the next day. I've never slept so well in my life! I took the valium on the way to the office, and by the time we got there, it struck me as hilarious that my husband came around to open my car door for me, although he always does because it doesn't open from the inside.
They brought me in, and started me on oxygen. I don't remember the point when they started with the laughing gas, but the dentist kept coming in and saying, "Hi, Molly! Are you comfortable? Do you want to be more comfortable?" Each time he made me more comfortable, I became more and more touched by the arm band they'd put on my arm to measure my blood pressure periodically. Every few minutes it would tighten and measure my pressure, and then release again. It felt like a hug. I specifically remember thinking how sweet it was of the dentist to program an arm hugger while he made me more comfortable. I also kept reaching for Charles and telling him how handsome he was. I kept calling him Charlie, which I hardly ever say in front of other people, and saying "Hi, Charlie! Gosh, you're so handsome!" At some point someone mentioned cooking, and yelled out that I love cooking soup! Just wild about soup. I wanted to make sure they knew. And I kept telling the dentist that he could not have my wisdom teeth because my dentist at home said I could keep them. and I would close my mouth to make my point, but I would have willingly given them up by the time he started the surgery, I'm sure. I was just so dang comfy. Life turned all soft and huggy and warm. I liked it. I remember thinking I wanted to play mancala with Emile when I got home, and thinking I could kick her trash.
By the time I got home, though, I was in no position to kick anyone's trash. Charles and Emile helped me up the porch stairs, and I noticed that Emile had hung all the clothes she'd borrowed for Valentine's Day on the doorknob to wait for us. That was so silly of her! I just had to giggle. They helped me down the stairs, and Emile walked me to my couch and sat me down, and they went to the hallway to talk. Charles announced he was going for Jambas, and asked Emile what flavor she wanted. Berry Lime Sublime for her, Razzmatazz for Charles, and Peach P-word for me. I giggled, and thought about how sweet Charles was to get a Jamba for Emile, because I knew she wanted one last week and hadn't gotten one. He's so handsome. By the time he came home with mine, all I could do was stroke it adoringly and sigh because it was so sweet of him to bring me one.
I slept the rest of the day, apparently snoring very abnormally, breathing in through my nose and shooting the breath out between my lips, which according to Charles and Emile takes concentration, but Charles does it all the time in his sleep. When I woke up, we watched Tommy Boy, which for some reason I demanded to see, and I thought it was hilarious. Charles watched James Bond movies while I slept after that, because he knew this was the only time I'd ever allow them in my house. They just seemed sweet to me yesterday, though.
I've never had laughing gas before, but I would do it again. I may start demanding it for regular cleanings, which is all I'm ever going to a dentist for again. That's what my dentist said. He fawned over my teeth, and asked me who my orthodontist was (never had one.) and marvelled at how clean my wisdom teeth were, even though they were back so far ("I get to keep them!") and said after this, the only thing I would need to see a dentist for was a regular cleaning. I'm so in love with this sedation dentistry idea.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

You need to put disclaimers on your posts that warn you not to read them at work. I had to stop every few sentences and do something else just to keep from lauging out loud too much! Glad you had such a wonderful experience!

Kent and Leisy said...

ew, I hate all forms of sedation or sleepy woozy pills. I HATE thta feeling that you so verbosely described :) I'm glad you enjoyed your experience though. I also HATE the dentist.

Starla said...

hahaha I love it. That stuff makes you feel good!

Jordan said...

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA I could not stop laughing!!! My boss was like what in the world are you reading Jordan!?!?! ha ha ha ha that was one of the funniest things I have ever read.

I have had laughing gas before and it didn't do anything to me! I am jealous!

By the way, I agree with Natalie's comment. I should not have read this at work! ha ha. This was the first blog of yours and it was hilarious!

Natalie just sent me the link to your blog so I could look at your wedding cake. I am doing a polka dot theme for mine this summer.

You're cute.

Jordan