Friday, July 18, 2008

A Dangerous Pasttime

Yesterday Charles' professor was in town to check up on everyone's internships and host family situations and everything. He took us all out to dinner (including the wives, which I thought was very nice) and asked us for stories and for recommendations for the future. Everyone had a lot in insight to share, and I thought the professor was pretty good at taking it all in stride, and not becoming defensive, as I think this program is kind of his baby.

After dinner, on the ride home, I started making a mental list of the things I've learned over here. I've learned more about myself, my marriage, my husband, and my parents than I think I've actually learned about Russia, but I think that's to be expected.

I've learned that I'm more of a scaredy-cat than I thought I was, but that I can learn to be brave. I just have to force myself to try new things, and fix problems as they come up, instead of trying to think of any possible dilemma and solving it before it before it happens. Chances are, it won't even happen, and if it does, I'm not actually more prepared for it by worrying about it beforehand.

I've learned that my husband is more patient than even I give him credit for. I knew when I married him that he was very easy to get along with, and very difficult to offend, but I'm learning that those are very greivous understatements. I'm continually impressed by how much he looks out for me, and how much he doesn't mind translating and explaining things. Especially advertisements in the metros. They always look so intriguing, and it's frustrating not to know what they're about. He went out of his way to find the website for one of the more interesting ads, and translate and explain it to me. That was when we both realized that we were looking at an ad for yeast infection medicine. It claims to work in just one day.

I've learned that I didn't give my parents enough credit. In my childish ignorance, I always interpreted moving as their way of punishing us kids for making good friends quickly. I never stopped to think that they were leaving friends, too, and that it hurt them to see us say our good byes. I never thought about my mom showing up in relief society as "the new kid" that I always resented being, and never thought about having to be the new kid with six of her own new kids. And I never had any sympathy for my dad, because he was always very optimistic and upbeat about our moves, so I just figured he was never sad to leave places that we loved. But now I'm realizing that was just so stupid of me. I don't know how my parents did it, but I'm in awe.


Sitting on the metro, thinking all of these thoughts, and having so many new and sudden insights into my own life, I naturally wanted to share them with my best friend. So I looked over to see if he was still awake, and this is what I found:

He had gotten his tongue stuck in his water bottle. What a cute little boy I married.

6 comments:

Starla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Starla said...

hahaha.... funny picture

I like your insights. Good for you for being contemplative!

jax from the harmon squad said...

Isn't it funny that the men we married are still little boys inside? And your insight into moving was very touching- it made me tear up (I tear up at everything, I'm just a sap these days). But here's some insight into not ever moving- it's not so great either. Even though you never have to be the new kid, all your friends move away, usually to new and exciting places, while you have to stay behind in the same old place and hope that someone new will move in that can be your friend, which may or may not happen.

Cecily Jane said...

I can't tell you how good I felt reading this. Happy for you, you know? I'm happy because I know how wonderful self discovery can be, even if what you're learning isn't exactly positive. I really believe that the more we understand ourselves, the more we understand how to change ourselves to be like God. And there you are, all the way in Russia, being the best you you've ever been. Bravo!

By the way, I'm calling you tomorrow around 8 PMish your time. Is that okay?

Unknown said...

You guys are both great people! I enjoy reading your thoughts about things!!

Brandon said...

Charles,

I blog stalked you, only to find that you are not only in Moscow, but that your tongue was stuck in a bottle.

I hope that worked out for you.

:)

~Brandono