Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Meh

We're in a food rut. I'm usually a pretty good cook, according to the people I've fed. But I seem to botch everything I try here. Charles eats it anyway, because he's hungry and because it doesn't bother him that things never taste the same here. But I'm very sensitive to how much my food tastes like it's supposed to, and how much it doesn't. Remember that mac and cheese we bought when we first got here? I kept it in our little cupboard for weeks, as a backup to every meal I planned. It was really good to have around, because I was certain that if we were just dying for a taste of home, we could make that in ten minutes and feel American again.
We finally hit that point, and we made the mac and cheese, and it tasted funny. But it didn't make me laugh. I feel very out of my element here, because I am a feeder. I live to feed people, and I love making food that people love. Here, even my mac and cheese and my brownies from a box taste weird, and it makes me want to avoid the kitchen. Which I do, now. We eat a lot of pizza. A lot of pizza. I desperately want to make a meal that both of us can enjoy, and I'm totally out of ideas and inspiration. And I'm kind of homesick.
Ok, a lot homesick.

13 comments:

Janae said...

It seems like I've eaten a lot of pizza in foreign countries. For some reason it is always the default when you don't know what to eat and everything seems so foreign too handle at the moment.

Birches said...

Molly, sorry for your homesickness. I totally understand about making food for people. Whenever I cook something and it doesn't turn out exactly right, I just want to throw it away. Veronica has to keep a close eye on me since the time we were dating and I threw out a whole batch of waffles while no one was looking. I don't like wasting food, but I hate it when I don't think something tastes right and people eat it anyways. And then I feel like they are trying to make me feel better when they give it any compliments. One annoying thing about living here in Denver is the altitude. I think all my favorite recipes were created at sea-level, and nothing turns out right here. Well, when you guys come back, we'll come visit and you can cook all your favorites for Veronica and I.

Aaron

Birches said...

"Veronica and me."

Natalie said...

I'm sorry Mup. I feel quite meh lately too. I'll save the venting for elsewhere though, I guess. I'm sorry about the mac & cheese. I can only imagine how much of a let down that would be. America welcomes you with open arms.

Natalie said...

And I volunteer to be the recipient of your cooking any time.

Whitney said...

I TOTALLY understand what you mean. I don't cook here. And I feel bad for Jon. And let's be honest, even the pizza tastes different. But there's always ham sandwiches and juice...and chocolate!

Starla said...

O NO! I had that same feeling in Australia! My stomach hurt for the first week so I went to the grocery store and bought anything that looked truly American- oreos, etc. Cheese tastes different, milk, mac and cheese,bread... fruit is one of the few things that tasted ok to me for a while. I am so sorry about the mac&cheese

jax from the harmon squad said...

It's amazing how food can make you homesick, isn't it? When I was in Hungary I ate A LOT of bread, but amazingly never had a horrible experience with food while I was there. Have you tried throwing McDonalds into the mix:)? It may not taste the same, but it's probably a lot better.

Mollie said...

I'm Mollysick!

Starla said...

McDonalds in Australia was gross. I may have to veto that idea :) The ice cream was ok though...it just didn't taste American

Birches said...

I agree with Aaron. It took about six months before I figured out how to alter my Spanish rice so that it wasn't disgusting. Aaron was a pretty good sport about the whole thing. Hang in there.

Cecily Jane said...

I love the new layout!

Shannon said...

Sorry for your home sickness! That can be the worst. Thanks for checking out my blog, I love your!! The pictures of your wedding are beautiful. I'm looking forward to reading up on all your previous posts :-)